Monday, 6 January 2014

NetSurf Developer Workshop Redux

The NetSurf Developers bringing you alternative LOLcat viewing software since 2002Once again the NetSurf developers congregated in Cambridge at the Collabora offices where we were made welcome in a nice environment for the event.

Five developers managed to attend from around the UK Rob Kendrick, Vincent Sanders, Daniel Silverstone, John-Mark Bell and Michael Drake. We also had Chris Young and François Revol providing some bug fixes remotely.

This was the first time we had all met since the previous event towards the end of 2012 and we took full advantage of this to discuss a pretty extensive agenda in addition to the practical programming tasks.

From Friday lunchtime through to Sunday evening we managed 30 hours of work consisting of over 70 commits to over 100 files.

The whiteboard of our notes

Our main focus was working towards a 3.1 release which is scheduled for early April. Along with the source the release will have binary builds for RISC OS, AmigaOS, Windows and Mac OS X (x86 and ppc). Although the NetSurf project will not be directly releasing binaries for the GTK and Framebuffer frontends we will be ensuring the Debian packages are updated which is our prefered method of distribution for those targets.

We analysed the 3.0 release and formulated an improved process for the future. The 3.1 release will be generated automatically by the CI system ensuring constant results and removing the problems we encountered previously.

A set of release blocking issues was derived which we used as a task list during the workshop.The majority of these were completed including:
DOM based forms
Web forms are a feature Netsurf has supported for a long time and their implementation has not kept up with the rest of the browser. This is a long standing problem area which has resulted in numerous strange bugs with form submission. With this change the form system has been reworked to correctly operate directly from the DOM resulting in the squashing of a large number of bugs and a much improved user experience.

DOM based image loading
Up to now image fetching was performed only during the rendering of a page. With this change when the image link is placed into the DOM during the page parse it is scheduled to be fetched, this should give an improved user experience as images should be available earlier in a pages render.

Removal of MNG support
NetSurf has supported MNG since the 1.0 release, indeed the MNG library used to provide the PNG support too though we have long ago transitioned to libPNG. Alas the web has moved on and MNG has been largely forgotten, the libMNG library that performs the image decoding is old and generally unsupported specifically lacking security updates.

The build issues with libMNG (lack of pkg-config, reliance on libcms1 etc.) were causing maintenance issues in code nobody was actually using (there were crash bugs discovered during its removal!). Because of these issues it was decided to join the vast majority of browsers and remove support for this format.
The developers also addressed several issues with toolchain construction and a number of annoying usability bugs.

Plans for how to improve printing support we made. Initially we intend to fix the existing haru based pdf generation using this to print via pdf and in future have correct css styled page paginated printing render output.

The perennial issue of javascript was discussed however, while efforts to improve the existing support are ongoing, our usage of the spidermonkey library continues to raise various challenges including platform support and API changes between versions.

Due to these issues it has been suggested that we might add support for using the duktape JS engine instead, initial results are promising but given the size of the task of implementing an additional javascript engine binding further investigation is necessary before making a commitment.

Amongst the other discussions the group has also agreed that we will once again apply to be a GSoC organisation for a single student with some very focused projects:
  • Improving our HTML5 parser (hubbub)
  • Improving the DOM library implementing missing functionality.
While neither of these projects are as fashionable as some of our previous proposals they are well defined enough that as a group we believe we could offer enough support to the student to make their experience a pleasurable one and get the resulting code reviewed and merged promptly.

This event was very successful with a great deal achieved, the project is much more likely to be in a good shape to release 3.1 by April now and the meeting has given the developers a much welcomed boost.

I would like to extend the groups thanks to Robert McQueen for letting us use the Collabora offices, Dorée Carrier for organising all the administrative things and to Vivek Dasmohapatra for coming out on his Sunday afternoon to let us back in after locking ourselves out.


No comments:

Post a Comment